Voter Registration / Information
Report of Registration for Stanislaus County as of February 10, 2023
|No Party Preference||54,054|
|Peace and Freedom||1,709|
Who May Register And Vote
You may register to vote if you meet the following criteria:
- A United States citizen and a resident of California
- 18 years old or older as of the day of the next election
- Not currently serving a state or federal prison term for the conviction of a felony, and
- Not currently found mentally incompetent to vote by a court
If you are 16 or 17 years old and meet the eligibility requirements above, you can pre-register to vote. Your registration will become active once you turn 18 years old.
If you are homeless and meet the eligibility requirements above, you can register to vote. A residence address is required to determine your voting districts.
- If you do not have an address that includes a house number and street name, you must provide a description of the location you consider your home or domicile (such as cross streets or landmarks) so we can establish your precinct
- If you do provide cross streets or landmarks, you must also provide a mailing address, such as: a P.O. Box, business, or mail drop address, for the Elections Office to mail your election materials. You still need a residence address or description on your registration form.
California elections law denies the right to vote to persons who have been determined mentally incompetent.
How And Where To Register To Vote
Register to vote online or update your current registration. You need to update your registration if you:
- Move to a new residence,
- Change your name, or
- Want to change your political party affiliation.
Other Ways to Register
If you cannot register online, you can obtain a registration form at the following locations:
- County Elections Office,
- City Clerk offices,
- public libraries,
- post offices, or
- the California Department of Motor Vehicles.
You may also call the Stanislaus County Registrar of Voters Office at (209) 525-5200 or (209) 525-5230 for Spanish language assistance to have a registration form mailed to you.
Military and Overseas Voters
If you are a member of the military services or a U.S. citizen living outside the United States and meet all the voter eligibility requirements above, you can register to vote. This includes if you are a U.S. citizen born abroad who is eligible to vote, or an eligible spouse or dependent of a military service member and have not registered to vote in any other U.S. state.
The fastest and simplest way to register is through the Online Registration Form, selecting the appropriate classification.
You can also visit the Federal Voting Assistance Program (FVAP) website to complete the FVAP assistance form. The signed form may be:
- Faxed to our office at +1-209-525-5803
- Emailed to email@example.com, or
- Mailed to:
Stanislaus County Registrar of Voters Office
1021 “I” St. Suite 101
Modesto, CA 95354
The forms to register and vote by mail are also available through the military installation’s Voting Assistance Officer or any US Embassy or Consulate.
Conditional Voter Registration
The voter registration deadline is 15 days prior to Election Day. However, after that deadline and through Election Day you can still register and vote in person using Conditional Voter Registration. This option is available at all voting locations as well as the Elections Office located at 1021 “I” Street, Suite 101, in downtown Modesto.
Safe at Home
If you are a victim of domestic violence, sexual assault, or stalking, you may be able to complete a confidential voter registration card and become a confidential voter. As a confidential voter, you can vote by mail and protect your voter registration information from campaigns, the media, and the public.
To apply for the Safe at Home program, please contact the Secretary of State office at (877) 322-5227 to enroll.
Disclaimer: The information contained in these pages was valid at the time of publication. The County Clerk / Recorder / Registrar of Voters reserves the right to modify, update, change or make improvements at any time, without notice, and assumes no liability for damages incurred directly or indirectly as a result of errors, omissions or discrepancies.